Friday, February 20, 2009

Team-building (literally)




















Buffalo.com photo by Don Nieman.

You all know (or know of) Deanna Russo, my fellow manager here at Buffalo.com. On Saturday, Aug. 15, Deanna's not-for-profit organization, Crusade Against Impaired Driving, will be holding its second annual one-pitch softball tournament.

A few of us put together a team last year...and I think we had 7 people show up (we were not very strong in terms of communication and organization). The tournament was a success, raising $3,000 to fight drunk driving, but our team got manhandled and was bounced out of the double-elimination event after two games.

This year, it would be nice to get a team put together well ahead of time...so if anyone is interested in playing, please let me know...it would be great to put together a Buffalo.com team of 12 or 13 people and to help support Deanna's cause (check out the Web site for the full story behind the organization).

I really don't care about winning or anything, but it would be a chance to have a little fun and for everyone to get to know each other better.

I was thinking about this a little bit, as well. We have occasional Buffalo.com events for the interns to get together - the recent tour, the holiday party, last year we had a mixer out at Ilio DiPaolo's...would you be interested in more stuff like that? It could be as structured as a Buffalo.com team in a bowling or softball league, or as simple as an email note for anyone who is interested to meet at a local watering hole to hang out. I am definitely open to suggestions on this topic, as well.

So if you're interested, or have any ideas...share your thoughts in the Comments section!

5 comments:

djruggiero said...

Building team concepts is a great Idea. unfortunately I would not be able to participate athletically. but to steal a quote from the movie grease "I guess I could be an athletic supporter!" Seriously Espirt de corps Great Idea!

Lizz said...

I'll second djruggiero: you don't want to see me play sports. I was the first person in recorded school history to be kicked off my middle school softball team after only getting on the field twice my entire first season. Not an oversight, I really was that bad. But I think more team-building/social activities would be a great idea. I'm all for getting to know each other.

Anonymous said...

Deanna,
Count me in for this years softball team !!! I play either 3rd base or 2nd base.

Anonymous said...

No sports for me but I'll take the pictures, ha ha. My Dad Eric used to pitch. Maybe you can get him out of "retirement". As far as events, I like meeting other people in the internship and like the occasional get together. The tour was great!!

Elizabeth Wagner said...

Im a bit late on commenting but Ill do it anyway. I will not and never will ever again put a bat in my hands unless its to wack the brains out of a burgler! Last time I tried to fill in for someone, my first try at batting, the ball came at me, I hit it and walloped the the catcher in the head! Ouch! She needed several stiches to close that wound! GL on the team, Id be willing to watch tho.